So I’ve finally got around to the post I promised would be my “next post” three posts ago, back in December! If I were Queen Penelope, what taxes would you be in for, and what could you expect in return?
There’s a mixture of left and right-wing ideas here, hence the title of the post. But here goes, in point form, and without any detailed description:
- V.A.T. of at least 20%, on all goods and services with no exceptions.
- Personal tax brackets from 20% to 50%, rising incrementally.
- Tax credits available as a fixed amount, higher for married people with children under 18, or single parents with children.
- Payroll taxes levied at the same rates for all, no exceptions.
- Low corporation tax rate of 15%.
- Tax on the disposal of financial assets (this one will get a post all of its own and this time I do promise it won’t take four months).
- Carbon taxes and “sin taxes” maintained at fairly high levels.
- No capital gains tax.
- No tax on interest income from investments.
- free education all the way to third level (first degree) studies. Tuition only but with means-tested assistance available for other expenses, with STEM fields receiving higher priority. A form of national service (two to three years, depending on the level of assistance) mandatory after graduating, serving in the field of study. This will be paid, but not at market rates. Some of this may take place in the private sector, with the government paying a portion of the wage.
- free health care (means tested).
- income supplement to low income workers with families.
- unemployment benefit, on the condition that people make themselves available for work in a government program, such as the national service program described above.
- disability benefit, upon regular assessment by the person’s own doctor, and a state doctor.
So there you have it – the complaints department is located below, in the comments section.